Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Recipe For Crepes

I was telling someone about how my wife and daughter love to have Crepes for breakfast. The recipe I use is in a Betty Crocker Cook Book from the 60's. 2 tbsp butter is melted into 1 cup of milk then cooled, next 2 eggs are beaten. When the milk has cooled the beaten eggs and 1/2 cup of Gold metal Flour, 1 tsp of baking powder and and 1/2 tsp salt are beaten in to make a smooth batter. I use a 5" in diameter iron skillet at moderate heat. Coat the bottom evenly by tilting the pan. Cook for a minute, flip and do other side, brushing some butter on the pan evry now and then. I stack them in sets of four and separate them with wax paper until I use up the batter. They can be frozen, so each set of four can be thawed as a serving. I usually do a double batches.

The sauce we like is an Orange Sauce; In a fry pan melt 1/3 cup butter, 2 tbsp sugar, 1/3 cup orange juice and some orange rind. I section the orange and add them to the hot sauce and crush them. Turn the crepes into the sauce, fold into quarters and put on plates, spoon some sauce over them. My gang would have me making these all the time, so I restrict this treat to Mother's Day, extra special occasions or when I'm in serious trouble.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you should come to brooklyn and make crepes.