Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Begining an Indian Maiden


Rather than wait until I finished a piece, I'm going to post as it progresses, this will wind up backwards with the latest work appearing first at the top of the page. If I can figure out how to alter the sequence I will. George Catlin, went out West to chronicle the American Indians before they were lost. He had been painting Indians in the East before he followed in the foot steps of Lewis and Clark. One of the most attractive Indian maidens he paint was a Mandan girl named Mint. She was about fourteen when he painted her, she's older now. I fell in love with his painting of her from the first time I saw it. The most fascinating thing about her was a shock of white hair. The Mandan women had this genetic trait. She looks like a modern woman with that streak in her hair. This is a begining so I'm roughing out the general disposition of the head and trying to work out the length of her neck, the neckline of her dress. The upper portion of this sculpture will be realistic, but lower portion will be closer to the natural cedar log I started with.

No comments: